December 08, 2014

Wheat Paste Winter Project

Music | I Still Feel It by Martina Topley-Bird

This project has been in my head for over a year... Having a hard time getting it off the ground, mostly because of laziness, I enlisted Susan de Witt to collaborate with. Our initial goal was to find a place to have the display, then get prints made, then hang. Our big issue was venue, but Susan came up with a place and the project rocketed to completion! Once we got our prints made, our outdoor gallery in St. Johns was hung in less than a week after that. Collaboration is always a good thing!


Thru the fence...

St. Johns Coffee Roasters
offered us wall space at the back of their café. Françoise Weeks and I will also be having an exhibition there in February. Mount Burns, owner of the café has only been too generous for these two projects!


Me, Amanda and Shoe...

My first foray into wheat pasting was pretty simple with visits to a few websites. Huge props goes to Mark Sink and his Big Picture Project he put together in Denver. A nice guide to getting started put me in a direction I felt confident about to get going...


Susan de Witt and I...

With good preparation, Susan and I rocked thru the process without incident. I have to say, working with wheat paste was like being a kid again. Because it was all new to the both of us, we had to have a sense of humore and just go with the flow...


The Collection and I...

The end result felt victorious and just great. I'm thinking public art like this is wonderful. Not having to deal with the bourgeoisie gallery scene where you spend a ton of money to have a show, make no money in return, but for a few pats on the back and ego lifting words makes no sense to me. This project was made by pennies on the dollar in comparison. I feel confident we'll have a bigger audience and for those who just happen just upon it, will have more appreciation for the unexpected art work.

fuck the traditional system...

No comments:

 
-- --