March 06, 2007

All GQ and shit...

Music | Olivia by Fred Anderson

I am not known for my fashion sense. I'm strictly a jeans and basic top kind of guy. I have my favorite pieces of clothing that most people would call disgusting. I've got a 7 year old sweat shirt that has worn at the neck, sleeve ends and belly area. I've got a 45 year old sweater vest that I've had since my early 20's that was given to me by a relative who has since past away. So I have comfort necessities that take precedence and I don't care how it looks. I will say I am wearing my sweater vest a lot less because of the disdain of one of my friends...

For special events, I've got my few slacks and nice dress shirts, but those have been picked up because of price and not because they fit me perfectly or that I just had to have that certain item. I look good, but they don't infuse confidence.

Today, I made a commitment to come home with a suit, shirt and tie with suspenders and a pair of shoes. I bit the bullet and went to a shop where I was fitted and all my cloths altered to fit me perfectly. I have to say it was a very nice experience. I wasn't intimidated, though maybe I was a little in the beginning. I tried on the big names and names I wasn't familiar with. I was impressed with myself to be able to feel what was a great fitting jacket and one that wasn't. I would have loved to spend a $1000 on a suit, but that just wasn't going happen.

As it was, I think I made some good choices. I went with a basic black suit, a fancy but understated white shirt, black suspenders and a yellowish tie. I know, I thought no way was I going to do yellow, but my sales guy put together some colour combinations and I actually liked it a lot.

After trying everything on, my very attractive seamstress came out and pulled here, tugged there, measurements made and marked. I will have my custom tailored suit in 2 days.

I'm astonished to feel the affect of wearing nice clothing. Knowing you look good has its benefits. If I could afford it, I would consider wearing suits more often. That sure would surprise a lot of people!!! I don't know however that I would give up my sweater vest...

1 comment:

Randy said...

"Rather than telling an associate, "You look good in that suit," tell the person, "That suit looks good on you." - Dale Carneigie"

You have to admit, the sweater in question has been worn to death. It has character on it's own and it's time for you to step away from it and create your own identity.

As Robert Palmer once said, it's the man that makes the suit. Yes, great clothes are wonderful. They empower you and give you confidence, but not if that confidence doesn't exist in the first place.

I truly hope you are posting a self-portrait with your new suit. I honestly can't imagine you in anything but that sweater or a black leather coat and Carhartts.

 
-- --