September 09, 2008

Would I bore myself?

Music | Hello by Poe

I've known that I needed to get out and shoot again. I just have had no energy to pull anything together. However, late last week, the photo gods presented me with an opportunity to photograph an idea that I've been working on for the past 8 months, without much luck. With little advance notice, all of the elements for this shoot suddenly came together and I had a few days to prepare. In the back of my mind, I still had doubts this shoot was actually going to take place, so I was lax in my mental preparation.

I enjoy putting myself in uncertain situations and see what comes out of them. This was no exception. I've worked with one of the models before, but the lead in this photo was my elusive muse. And working with 2 models under these circumstances was also a stretch for me as I'd have to be director to 2, not just 1 as I'm accustomed to.

Watching others work is always interesting to me. I like to see how the artist goes about finding their vision. I've watched documentaries on Avedon, Annie, Wim Wenders... The interesting part is to see how they relate to their subjects and locations. I especially enjoy watching peers of mine work. I know these people and to see them work often brings about people I don't know. I like to think I am that way too. I wonder if I'd be interesting to myself...

No comments:

 
-- --