July 03, 2009

When you CAN go home...

Music | Golden Rust by Robert Miles

Just in from a bike ride in 90º heat, I've fallen to my chair in front of the computer not knowing what to do... Flipping thru sites, I've come to Tabula Rasa knowing it has been many days since my last post and many days for that one as well.

I'll just move on as if nothing has happened and try to pick up the pace... My Dad's health has been waning, but not to the extent where we were told by a doctor that he had 1 to 2 months of life left about 6 weeks ago... He shortly came back several days later to tell my Dad he was wrong. Meanwhile the family was scrambling trying to figure out what to do. I made flight plans with Dara to fly back. Well, the bad news turned into good, Dara and I had a trip to take and we all made the best of it. We got to see family and friends and I decided to make the trip all about food.

While in Chicago, I made sure to hit everything I have been craving since the last time I was in Chicago... 1st morning there, we were off to the Golden Apple on Clark street. Though it was made famous by the public radio series, This American Life, I used to go at least once a week with my good buddy Todd way back in the day...



After returning from our visit to Wisconsin, our first stop was The Wiener Circle. I had to get my mouth around a Char Cheddar Hot Dog and Dara got a more traditional Chicago dog. Fries of course was a must...





I was not used to the hot and humid heavy air that bestowed us on our visit, but a few afternoons to the beaches along Lake Michigan was a great way to cool off. We also made it to Mario's on Taylor. The best Italian Ice in the city!!!





I was determined to get to a few difficult places as well, one being Uno's Pizza. Mayor Daley has really made parking downtown ridiculous. Dara and I did get lucky and found a spot about a block away. I've longed for Uno's for years, hitting other venues like Lou Malnatti's, Gino's... I was satisfied, but a little disappointed. I thought the crust was a bit over cooked. Left overs later that night was fantastic!



A few others I've been yearning for...








The gyros plate was from some Greek dive on Clark. I also hit the south side for Harold's chicken in Hyde Park. I've recently heard the one to go to however is on 87th just off the Dan Ryan. I was quite satisfied with my 1/2 with salt, pepper and mild sauce...

2 comments:

Randy said...

Wow...Authentic Chicago food! Looks really good and now I'm hungry, thank you very much!

I hope to visit the Midwest this summer and spend some time with my father. I've thought of doing the same thing. It's funny how regional food can be. Unique and tasty!

Best wishes for your father. I can't even imagine how difficult that must be for your entire family. Glad you were able to go visit the family.

Christopher Mark Perez said...

Oh man! It must be lunch time. I'm hungry after seeing these fine images from Chicago. Yikes!!

 
-- --