January 19, 2014

Framing an Ambrotype

Music | Watership Song by User's Atmosphere

So my flow with the Ambrotype is getting better. I had made the commitment on a few sessions to only shoot 8x10 ambrotypes and it appears to be paying off.

I was asked to be a part of a Valentines show a few months ago and I knew I wanted it to be on glass. I also knew I wanted to work with Eye Sea Blood. Her amazing ability to put things together for a shoot is as good as some of the best stylists I have ever worked with. For some reason, Knife to the Heart came into my head and it became the theme to the shoot.

I could write on and on about the shoot, but I meant to write about framing this new media. Oh so delicate, I had thought since I started shooting on glass how I would frame them. Lots of discussions with other Ambrotype shooters, I decided upon going simple, but elegant. Besides that, economically, I wanted to figure out how I was going to frame my solo show in June and September. This would be a good test.

Black velvet, where I have found there are many grades range in price from single digit dollars up to $54 per yard, is used for the backing of the plates.

The plate is held down with black wire at the corners to hold in place.

I put a spacer of foam core in between the plate and the cut mat.

Close up of wire

The gap between plate and mat doesn't quite translate, but you get the idea...

I have to say, I really like this presentation. The darker neutral mat works really well with the glass plates. The floating mat also works well to show the depth of the glass as well.

Onto delivering the piece for the show...
-- --