March 18, 2005

to be 25 again...

All the world is ahead of you. You don't know that exploration of the now is one of the most exciting times of your life... I can't tell you how many times I thought to myself with my conversation with her that things will be good, time will move along with you and things will be all right. She is seeking and exploring in a world that seems closed off. I wanted to tell her from experience that what is happening now is inconsequential. But I did not want to come off as the wise one. But in a way, I was the Sensei. She sought me out and wanted guidence. From another generation's point of view, all I saw was opportunity.

I had my run, but did not take advantage of it when I was there. Living in the now too much and not thinking of the future. I am in my midlife, trying to start life like I too was 25. Now from behind, I am starting again.

2 comments:

Randy said...

It's interesting that you state "living in the now" was your problem. Most people live too much in the past or too much in the future and lose grasp of the "now" happening right in front of them.

Age brings perspective and patience. It's hard to sit and watch without wanting to jump in and offer advice. One must be asked before offering. It's also depressing to think how long ago 25 was...

Tammy said...

If I only knew then what I know now. It would be awesome to have the wisdom of a thirty (or forty) something year-old and the body, energy and future of a 25 year-old.

 
-- --