April 22, 2005

downs and ups

I lost that job that was supposed to happen tomorrow, but I gained a gig today. I got a last minute commission to shoot a editorial style portrait of an exec at a radio station. This job is the reason I love what I do. I get to do what I am good at and am appreciated for it. The best part is I will have another portfolio piece to add. Shooting jobs is a great thing, but being able to use it for the portfolio is a big bonus.

With the exception of being delayed 4 hours for the actual shoot, which I didn't mind as I arrived at my favorite cafe to blow time, everything went well. I hit it right off with my subject, an attractive mid - aged woman who let me know she was not attached... We rolled with friendly banter, give and take, nods and subtle gestures. I don't direct too much, as I hope to have my subject tell their story. I just kind of gesture to emphasize a look or emotion. I was confident I got what I needed in the 1st 10 exposures, but we extended the time for another 60 or so. I felt she was assured we got some great images as I started to break down the equipment. Nothing like a happy customer...

Along with quite a few compliments of my images from fellow workers at the station, one was most poignant... "Wow! It's as if someone snapped a picture of the vision in my brain. Perfect."

Though the spirit of this shoot comes far and few between, it carries in my head for a long time. I am revived.

1 comment:

Randy said...

Well, I guess in the big scheme of things, it all worked out for the best. That's why I try to remain calm when things don't work out the way I expected them to work out. It's times like that where the universe steps in and reminds me that forcing my will on the situation is not always what's best for me in the long-term.

It sounds like the work you gained by this other job dropping away is more along the lines of what you need to be doing, what you WANT to be doing and it will carry you forward with more rewarding opportunity and financial and personal gain than the other job ever could have. The other job was a means to an end, a short-term solution to a financial need.

Glad it worked out, can't wait to see the images from your shoot.

 
-- --