January 11, 2007

to begin again...

Music | Olivia by Fred Anderson

I met Tanya via the internet, then at an exhibition she was showing at in the Pearl. She had some work that I really admired. We have been able to communicate a bit since we met earlier last summer and the one thing I found is that she is constantly creating. I noticed in December that she had some new work in pastels, a medium I didn't see much of when I visited her studio. They reminded me of a piece she did that was one of my favorites, but that she no long had. My December hadn't produced any photography, so I made another push to Tanya to sit for me for a portrait. Earlier this week, we got together...



I am sure this is not the vision Tanya has of herself when she views this. But it was ingrained in me upon our first meeting. Her work is bold, straight ahead with vibrant colours. But Tanya herself, upon me introducing myself was far from what she was creating. I'll only say that when I viewed this photo during my first edit, I knew this was the one.

Talking with artists, not just photographers is invaluable to me. The way one sees the world is vast enough, but communicating with artists of other media makes the range of concepts and ideas so much wider. Often far beyond my comprehension, I usually take home new ideas days, weeks and even months later.

I'd like to move back towards a series I started back in Chicago with portraits of artists. Not only to add to my own work, but to get as much vision via other art and artists as I can. I feel at home with them.

No comments:

 
-- --