April 01, 2007

1st Ride of the Year...

Music | Rocket Hanabi by Tujiko Noriko

I woke up a bit later than expected and saw sun streaming thru the windows. I quickly got up and saw that it was 9:15. I had 45 minutes to get dressed, warm up the bike and head out to Intel where a few guys were getting together for a ride to the coast. I knew I wasn't going to make the whole trip, but wanted to meet a few members of the VJMC of Portland (Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Club) and take a portion of the ride.

2 Hondas, a Kawasaki and my Suzuki were the only ones to show up, but we rode aggressively thru the back roads west of Portland, proper. My first big ride of the year allowed me to ride as hard as I have on the big 1 litre. I wouldn't be able to find the roads we road from Hillsboro to Caston, but they will be in my head for awhile.

I left the guys in Gaston to head back, but on the way I realized I would be near the tiny town of Helvetia, home to the Helvetia Tavern. They have by far the best Cheeseburger I've ever had west of the Mississippi. Side order of fries and a coke, I was set!

The ride home is the feeling you ride for. Hardly another vehicle around, back roads of twisty, rolling hills as fast or as slow as you want to go. I am fortunate to live near the Tualitan Mountains, literally a 5 minute ride from home. It is always a joy going thru them. I also get the great view the St. John's Bridge allows me as well.






No comments:

 
-- --