May 31, 2016

Maintenance...

Music | The Phonograph by Her Space Holiday

Our Big Pictures Portland project has only been up for a little less than 2 months. All ready, some of the posters where coming down in a bad way. I had anticipated this as we were putting them up as there was no doubt I had mixed the paste incorrectly. I saw some pealing at the upper edges only after 3 weeks. As the weeks went by, more pealing and I could see them coming down quickly.

Sunday was a nice overcast cool day to put in a few hours to mend the images. I was thinking I wouldn't be able to save 2, but the others were basic. Armed with fresh and correctly mixed paste, a couple buckets of water, roller, various brushes and ladder, the late morning early afternoon session was cathartic. Seeing the images again as intended put new spirit in both themselves and myself. I probably would have let them finish the their disintegration, but I knew they didn't get a fair shake. The bad paste we originally used cut short their life span, so I wanted to see what I could do. It was an excellent learning experience for future hangings...












No comments:

 
-- --