May 07, 2016

The Process of Passion

Music | Manhatta by Cinematic Orchestra

I haven't been on a more pointed and direct path in a long time. I think it means more to me now as I am aware of where I am and how the fact that I am moving. It has been about 7 years since I started to learn the process of Wet Plate Collodion. Besides the occasional traipsing of shooting film, which at that time seemed more like a novelty, it was the first time I was learning something of substance in photography in decades. I don't mean to discount the digital process, but for me, there is very little substance to walk on as far as the process went. The sublities are measured in numbers, not touch, not intuition, not emotion.

I was talking to a fellow photographer, Ray Bidegain, a Platinum Palladium printer years ago. It was a time I wanted to start shooting large format film as an antithesis to the digital process, which I worked in heavy since 1999. He had started printing Platinum Palladium around 1999 and never made the transition to digital. I remember a conversation I had with him and he told me, everyday, he makes at least one print a day. As an artist, it was important and his job to do so. That thought has always stuck with me that he took his work so seriously. It was a part of his life and as an artist. Since my turn away from digital as a main resource, at a time where I think I started to develope as an artist myself, that concept has held strong in my mind.

I've been wanting to initially have an image of mine printed in the Platinum Palladium process for over 30 years. Ever since I went and saw my first Irving Penn exhibition at the Art Institute in Chicago. I was in college at the time and ate up everything photography. Of course there is no comparison in seeing an actual print, but more often than not, book reproductions had to suffice. Over time, the general feel and look and spirit of a Platinum Palladium print by osmosis embedded my brain. I know that in the back of my mind, everything I did in black and white was affected. The hold was strong and I felt no reason to deny it. I think it is funny that as digital took the stronghold in the industry, it never to this day has created its own. Digital is all about mimicking.

Back in the day, I wanted a motorcycle. So before I got a motorcycle, I bought a helmet. Having that object in front of me kept the idea of one day getting a motorcycle very strong and always in front of me. A few short months later, I had my motorcycle. About a year ago, after having done some research, I spent $40 on a paint brush. It was no ordinary brush, it was dubbed the Magic Brush, The Richeson 9010. This was the object that would keep Platinum Palladium printing in front of my face and remind me to keep striving to get to the point where I would one day print my own. A few short months later, I was able to purchase my set of chemicals and paper and start my journey.

During that time, I had my light source remade/reinforced. Changed out the electrics of 12 tubes, stained the exterior and made something to be proud to work with. I moved my workspace around with a workflow in mind where I could make my prints. I managed to do everything, except to start printing...

Around 6 months ago, I had Susan de Witt go thru the motions for me and show me her work flow. During the process, we made a print of one of my images. As much as I was hooked, I was more afraid the screw up and waste the pricey chemicals and paper. I did nothing to move forward...

3 weeks ago, I went to Susan's place again and we went thru the process. Another print made, but this time, something clicked. The thought that in order to learn, one has to fuck up. Once I accepted that, with blowing my investment of chems and paper, I could move forward. My big test was not at Susan's where I made my own print, but solo, with my light source, in my workspace.

3 weeks have gone by since making that last Platinum Palldium print at Susan's. I went from an initial high to dropping down to ground zero and a little below that. This last week has rendered me with 3 really nice images. I don't have a lock on this process, but I am feeling really good about it. I have gotten to the point where I want to print something new everyday.

The feeling of having one of my own images as a Platinum Palldium print is so amazing to me. And even more amazing is that I can do it myself now...

1 comment:

Paul Cunningham said...

It's all about the journey. I remember that I bought my first LF lens before I even had a camera. You know it's something you want to happen, and the journey of a thousand miles begins...

 
-- --