February 14, 2005

My Man Bill

I picked up a recording of a performance done almost 44 years ago, that I had not had the chance to listen to ever before. Mr. Evans and his trio played at the Village Vanguard. I knew 10 seconds into the first recording that I had selected an important collection of music. I am thankful that he decided to play on the night of June 25th, 1961. It is important, to at least me, that I know for sure.

While listening to his music... I read the liner notes in which Mr. Evans talks about Zen and how it relates a lot of ways to jazz. Most specifically, he says "he enjoys Zen because it is comforting. Like Jazz, you can't explain it to anyone without losing the experience. It has got to be experienced, because it's feeling not words."

I would like to think that somehow, 40 years down the road, I will have been able to inspire, or involke a feeling in someone who happens upon my work. Why is it I do what I do, the toils and struggle? I have had the desire to be able to take photographs for a living, in a way that was specific to my own needs. I still feel that way, for the most part. I'd like to be able to recreate myself, in a lifelong work of progression. That is in fact what an artist does, isn't it?

If somehow I was able to effectively set a tone in the mind of someone, something of the likes of what Mr. Evans has done for me, I know I have succeded in being an artist.

1 comment:

Randy said...

Your work is your legacy...that's so cool that Bill Evans compared his work to Zen, and he's right on. Not that people can or cannot get art at many levels, but it's something that is subjective and requires the viewer or listener to bring themselves to the experience.

Sometimes it may take years down the road for an artist's work to be relevant or understood. That's what is unfortunate about the lives of most artists historically. They were so far "out there" or so far ahead of their time that they aren't recognized or appreciated as they will be in future generations.

 
-- --