December 06, 2006

ick!

So, Randy put out a challenge to see how much "junk" we have on the sensors of our digital cameras on a forum I frequent. I didn't want to initially do it because I didn't want to see, the bad news. I've had cameras that were pretty bad, but since my style of shooting is such that the muck doesn't show up much, I never took it seriously.

The general procedure of checking your sensor is to shoot the sky on a clear day at a small aperture. This magnifies or puts more into focus the debris that might be on your sensor. You'll see exactly what is on there and how much.

Here are my 2 primary cameras...
#1

#2


Even number 2 isn't that bad, but now I'm thinking I need to invest in a sensor cleaning device. Thanks a lot... RANDY!

1 comment:

Randy said...

Sorry my friend, but friends don't let friends shoot with dirty sensors!

You should have seen mine. The spots were black! Along with the usual suspects.

Copper Hill has the most affordable cleaning devices and supplies. I initially purchased mine from Visible Dust in Canada and while their products work great, as advertised, they are VERY expensive.

Glad you did it!

 
-- --