September 13, 2005

Choke / Do You Know this Man?

Yesterday, I got to photograph this gentleman of World Renown. I didn't know much about him, but as I did my homework, I became more mesmerized, and beginning to get a little intimidated. I was told I was only going to have a very short amount of time with him to photograph, and unfortunetely, that stuck in my head. I lost my focus and just let the gentleman take the lead. He followed direction well, and had I listened to my surroundings, I would have known he was giving me all the time I needed. But my focus was time and not "MY" photograph.

I'm happy with this shot, but I know I could have done much better. As I drove home, all the ideas that would normally have a clear path to my brain, came rushing thru. The chance to photograph him won't be happening any time soon, if in this lifetime again. His good naturedness, location, all seemed to line up for perfection, but I lamed out.



This evening, I went to the hall to hear him play. I was thinking about all the people who came to see him and how they knew this man inside out. How they looked upon him the way I would look at Coltrane or Mingus. Out of the blue, here I get the chance to not only to photograph him, but meet him and talk to him. Being a photographer can be cool, and so much cooler when you don't lose your head...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Randy said...

I wouldn't say you choked, but I understand how you can be your own worst critic. You had an idea in your head, and the vision in your mind's eye did not match the reality of the situation. Could a better photographer, more seasoned and perhaps more in tune with the artist within have pulled off a better image given the circumstances...who knows. You did the best you could and it works. It's a nice image of a well known artist.

Anonymous said...

Holy crap! You met -and- photographed Andre Watts? Am I mistaken? I know a guy that bought an old Baldwin Concert Grand from him. Neato!

 
-- --