January 17, 2006

noir

"Film Noir (literally 'black film or cinema') was coined by French film critics (first by Frank Nino in 1946) who noticed the trend of how 'dark' and black the looks and themes were of many American crime and detective films released in France following the war. It was a style of black and white American films that first evolved in the 1940s, became prominent in the post-war era, and lasted in a classic "Golden Age" period until about 1960 (marked by Orson Welles' Touch of Evil (1958)). Strictly speaking, however, film noir is not a genre, but rather the mood, style, point-of-view, or tone of a film."

I've really been in a cinematic mode lately. Going thru some of my older photos, I came upon this image. I can see this pulled from a movie still, which is a direction I may follow, or not. I am quite interested in the look of movies and how some can capture this mood in still photographs. I need to study more!

No comments:

 
-- --