July 02, 2006

The place we dream of...

Of Courage... "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."

E. F. Schumacher

And of Collaboration... "No one wants advice, only collaboration."

John Steinbeck

When in fact we have no fear to collaborate, and when these 2 elements combine, amazing things can happen. When living in the safe zones of our lives, being comfortable often leads to stagnation. Pushing limits beyond our comfort zone however gets the blood rushing, the heart beating and knowing in real time when we are in that zone of the unknown, we are alive.

It wasn't so much that I was leaving my comfort zone in my latest portrait session. I had planned, but left open room for serendipity. My subject however was asked to leave her comfort zone and open up in a way that was uncommon. There was a certain amount of tension in the air, but not the kind you could cut. This tension was malleable, almost gelatinous.

Going over the images, I later saw more depth in them than when my excited eyes were merely capturing them. Things that speak over a period of time often have the most to say. I love the fact that there is initial beauty, but these images may mean more to me because it opened up my eyes, my brain and let me into a new place that I only vaguely knew of.

The door was there to be opened, I take credit for having the courage to go in.

No comments:

 
-- --