August 29, 2006

Schoolhouse Supplies

Music | Dreams Alternate Take by Susie Ibarra Trio

"Schoolhouse Supplies serves classrooms in need by operating a volunteer-run free store for teachers, which is stocked with supplies donated by the community."

My assignment was to document one of the corporate volunteers taking out an afternoon to set up, organize, and pack over 300 backpacks with necessary school supplies for an the entire student body of one of the elementary schools in the Portland school district.


scissors awaiting to be packed...


pencils being loaded into the supply bag...


a volunteer diligently stuffing supplies...


more volunteers...


pickup trucks awaiting all the stuffed backpacks...


This was a pro bono assignment that will be completed next week when the same volunteers distribute the backpacks to the students on the first day of class. I haven't ever done anything like this before, but I have to admit I had a great time. The volunteers were so into their work, I was hardly noticed. I love the fact that I am in the midst of all the action, being able to document the goings on without affecting the outcome.

No comments:

 
-- --