October 08, 2007

Bonding with Plastic

Music | See the Sun by Dido

What costs $25, is made of 98% plastic and isn't ready to use brand new out of the box? Around the world, there is a cult following that takes pleasure in all of its flaws. You cannot predict in advance, no matter how much you plan and strategize the outcome of your endeavor when you use it.

The Holga camera is far from being a precision instrument. The viewfinder is an approximation of what you might get. There is but 2 shutter speeds and 1 aperture setting. The film chamber leaks of light, unless you tape the seams with black tape. Even the lense is made of plastic. When holding the camera in your hands, the pebble grain finish gives you the sense that you are in fact holding a cheap, Chinese made plastic toy.

I woke up a little early today, to start my routine. There was anticipation in the air as I was going to buy another Holga camera. Since seeing the results of my last Holga that I gave away, I looked forward to getting another. On the heels of needing to come up with some sort of creative jump start, I realized the Holga was going to be my new path.



The idea of using this camera goes beyond going back to basics. But I'm looking forward to seeing what I can do with the Holga. I've decided to forage into the next 3 months and shooting with this camera to see what I can come up with. I've got projects all ready in mind that I hope to start very soon.

No comments:

 
-- --