October 03, 2007

Photographer...?

Music | Moment to Moment by Eric Alexander

an email to a fellow confidant...

So I stopped by my café this morning to get a latté on my way home from driving Dara to school. The owner had brought up a conversation we had when I first met her and how I came to find the café in the first place. I was telling her a client of mine brought up their blog, which opted me to stop in. I remember telling her a client of mine and for some reason, that stuck in my head. I had thought if she had asked, I was going to say that I am a Wedding Photographer. Then, shortly after that thought, it bugged the hell out of me that Wedding Photographer was the first thing that came to my mind. It really bothered me!!! I guess I still have the stigma and negative attitude towards, Wedding Photographer, in the back of my mind. I know and realize that I have been entrenched in weddings for the past 4 months, but what happened to the title of, Photographer?

I know and realize the term, Photographer is used VERY loosely these days. But what has happened where my first response to the question, "What do you do?", comes, "I shoot weddings..." After a brief meeting with my cerebellum, I am first and foremost an Artist, and Photographer. I take those titles as a badge of honor. I've worked my ass off to gain those titles and did not accept those titles until my early 30's. I used to say I work in Photography or I am a Photographer's Assistant... And the title of artist has come much more recently.

I guess I have to work more so as an Artist and Photographer to make that the first choice that comes to my brain...

No comments:

 
-- --