November 02, 2006

Ramblings...

Music | A whole lotta John Coltrane

I'm up early this morning... I had a rare and brief burst of brilliance (at least in my head) and came up with some copy for a brochure I'm putting together for myself. I'm using a template design, but at this point, having the ability to work on something for myself is a lot more than I've done in awhile. I will have a very nice brochure to start sending out to prospective clients, something I've never done. Marketing genius... Not.

I've had some great dialog with a few other creatives this week. Joni is a fantastic photographer who is always shooting. I think she is the most prolific shooter I know. She has been playing around with some wireless flash and expanding her repertoire. This leads me to an article I read about comparing music and light. I think I have a decent understanding of light and how it works. Simplicity has always been a mainstay in everything I do. But a quote, that read something like, "Expand your abilities to more than a 1 note lighting scheme..." got me to thinking. John Coltrane, a giant among jazz musicians has had his music described as Sheets of Sound. Listening to his music, you can just see a rain of notes coming out of his sax, and yet there is a cohesive bond where out comes some sophisticated sound. It is the first time where I was able to see music, much in the same way we feel light. So anyway, having the inspiration of Joni and this quote of expanding your abilities in the back of my mind, I pulled out a few flashes and tried to work them wirelessly as well. Simple, but new for me, another approach...



Time for my morning café. Ciao...

No comments:

 
-- --